Friday, October 10, 2014

 Bodhi carried my last set of glasses off to who knows where so finally after months of squinting, I got around to getting new ones.  Granny came to the optometrist with us and was in on the decision making. I told her I liked to look like a nerd and she agreed that these were a good choice if that is the look I was going for. 

Homeschooling hasn't been totally smooth sailing, but I think we are hitting our stride.  I feel so grateful to be able to spend my days with this guy, learning and exploring. He truly is the most sweet and sensitive little soul. 

It has been in the 90's here and lately Truman has been insisting on wearing hats/helmets and socks on his hands. And we're not talking about wearing them for 10 minutes, no, he rocks them ALL DAY LONG. That is commitment, people. COMMITMENT. 


I watched this movie last night while cleaning the kitchen and the interviews with the adults with autism made me cry with joy.  I don't miss teaching in the public school system, but working with people who fall outside of the range of "normal" (which is such an arbitrary word) has been one of the greatest gifts and joys of my life. This movie is about autism but I thought so many of the principles they talked about (like the REVOLUTIONARY idea that the goal should not be to "fix" people who are different, but help them in meaningful ways to be independent and live full lives)hold true for many different populations. 



ALSO, my awesome brother just launched a kickstarter campaign. Check it out here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/traviscain/fun-gus-a-limited-edition-art-toy




No comments: