Sunday, May 31, 2009

Big, clumsy, and FREEEEEEEEEE!

That is how I am feeling right now. I had my last day with kids today and my last day for the year will be tomorrow and it is just in the nick of time. Yesterday I managed to take a tumble at school, but protected my belly (and the child I was carrying) by breaking my fall with my chin. I spent the afternoon at the hospital being monitored (rest assured, all is well) and came out with a new found respect for my current physical limitations. The upside of the hospital visit was that they did another ultrasound and I got to see the little man's face. Which rests at the front of his HUMONGOUS head. The first thing the ultrasound technician measured was his head and she kept saying, "Wow, his head is measuring at 36 weeks" while she measured and remeasured about a million times, but then she moved down to the abdomen and leg measurements and those were right on. So, that was encouraging on the natural childbirth front... yeeeeeeikes. We are looking into a doula for the birth. I think having another support person there will be a big stress reliever for both Curtis and I. The lady who teaches our birth class is also a doula, so we are thinkin' she's our gal. Here he is...

Before we got married, people kept asking Curtis and I where we were registered. We didn't. Register that is. What did we need really? We were sort of clueless and felt weird telling people what to buy for us. We joked at the time that all we wanted was a Lazyboy recliner (Curtis' request) and a Dyson vacuum (my request). We had a better idea of things we didn't want than a wishlist of things we did. We are sort of feeling the same way about baby stuff. We keep fielding the question, "What do you guys need for the baby?" Well...ummmm.... ????? What does a baby need really? And when do you buy it? And what size do we get? And while were at it, what doesn't a baby need? Its all completely overwhelming. Again, we have a pretty clear idea of stuff we don't want (namely, plastic light up noisy toys) and I am a huge fan of functional while avoiding clutter, so I keep trying determine the things that we really NEED as opposed to "need". People have been amazingly sweet and generous about giving us gifts already and I just keep looking at the growing pile of adorable outfits and teething rings and what nots and feeling like EEEK! Do we really need all of this stuff? I honestly have no idea. We are planning on using cloth diapers so I'm thinking this and these will come in handy. I know we'll need a carseat and a co-sleeper and when I was a nanny I used a sling everywhere I went because I hated carting around the humungo stroller, so I imagine a sling purchase in our future but honestly beyond that... I am left clueless. If anyone with more experience wants to offer advice, we are all about hearing what your essential baby items were...

1 comment:

Anna said...

Well, I don't know if Curtis ever got that Lazy-Boy, but a comfy cozy chair that rocks and reclines would be a dream come true. those first several months are 90% sitting/rocking/sleeping/nursing. so comfy chair comfy chair comfy chair, i can not stress enough! Along those same notes, get yourself a soft cozy bathrobe. you will live in it, especially if you breastfeed. in the very beginning trying to even dress yourself is a joke so get something warm, comfy, soft, easy to put on, and with easy boob access. Honestly, those are the only 2 things that I couldn't live without and that i needed immediately after birth. And get them now, those things are very nice for a pregnant body too! love you!